The CVCC Workforce Solutions Emergency Medical Services is designed to produce competent entry-level EMT’s who can service the community with basic life support care via the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) infrastructure. Upon completion of the program, students will be eligible for National Registry testing and certification in Virginia. Employment opportunities are available for Ambulance, Fire and Rescue services, Hospitals, Government Departments, Industrial, and Humanitarian relief organizations. Students will be able to demonstrate the skills necessary to achieve the State and National Registry EMT certification.
- Preparatory (Introduction, Well Being, Medical/Legal and Ethical Issues, Human Body, Vital Signs and Sample History, Lifting, and Moving Patients)
- Airway (Airway Management and Practical Skills)
- Patient Assessment to include CPR skills (Scene Size, Initial Assessment, Focused History and Physical Exam – Trauma and Medical Students, Detailed Physical Exam, On-Going Assessment, Communications, Documentation, and Practical Skills Lab)
- Medical/ Behavioral Emergencies and Obstetrics/Gynecology (General Pharmacology, Respiratory Emergencies, Cardiac Emergencies, Toxicology, Diabetes/Altered Mental Status, Allergies, Poisoning/Overdose, Environmental Emergencies, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Practical Skills)
- Trauma (Bleeding and Shock, Soft Tissue Injuries, Musculoskeletal Care, Injuries to the Head and Spine, Chest, Abdomen and other Body Systems)
- Infants and Children (Management of Airway, Medical emergencies, Traumatic Injuries and Practical Skills)
- Operations (Ambulance Operations, Aeromedical services, Hazardous Materials, Incident Command Systems, Mass Casualty Incidents, NIMS, WMDs, Terrorism, Gaining Access, and Overviews)
- Clinical session in the Emergency Department and a field session with local EMS agencies.
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
National Registry of Emergency Technicians (NREMT)
Virginia Office of Emergency Medical Services