Launch Your New Career as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)!
Apply for CVCC’s FastForward Hybrid EMT Program
At Central Virginia Community College Office of Workforce Development
*Course Offerings, dates and times, and locations are subject to change without notice.
APPLY TODAY at centralvirginia.edu
|Fall 2020 Course:
||EMS Orientation: August 25, 2020
Workforce Development Orientation: August 27, 2020
BLS Class: September 1, 2020
EMS Course, Labs & Clinicals : September 3 – December 15, 2020
||Application Deadline: August 7, 2020
||Career Essentials (preferred), Medical Terminology Bootcamp (optional), and AHA Basic Life Support (required)
||Career Pathway to Advanced EMT Credential & EMS- Paramedic A.A.S. Degree (optional)
||Full Tuition $1200.00
||Reduced Tuition with Scholarships
Visit https://centralvirginia.edu/Workforce/Financial-Aid to learn how easy it is to qualify!
||Class materials & exam fee included in tuition cost.
||154 HRS – Classroom & Practical Instruction (Online & In-Person)
40-50 HRS - Career Essentials (Preferred) (Online & In-Person)
24 HRS – Medical Terminology (Preferred) (Online & In-Person)
4 HRS - AHA BLS (required)
||1- SkillsUSA Career Essentials (optional)
2 - American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) and
3 - Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
4 - (NREMT) Emergency Vehicle Operations (EVOC)
5 - Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
6 - Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians
Virginia Office of Emergency Medical Services
The CVCC Workforce Solutions Emergency Medical Services is designed to produce competent entry-level EMT’s who can service the community with basic life support care via the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) infrastructure. Upon completion of the program, students will be eligible for National Registry testing and certification in Virginia. Employment opportunities are available for Ambulance, Fire and Rescue services, Hospitals, Government Departments, Industrial, and Humanitarian relief organizations. Students will be able to demonstrate the skills necessary to achieve the State and National Registry EMT certification.
- Preparatory (Introduction, Well Being, Medical/Legal and Ethical Issues, Human Body, Vital Signs, and Sample History, Lifting, and Moving Patients)
- Airway (Airway Management and Practical Skills)
- Patient Assessment to include CPR skills (Scene Size, Initial Assessment, Focused History and Physical Exam – Trauma and Medical Students, Detailed Physical Exam, On-Going Assessment, Communications, Documentation, and Practical Skills Lab)
- Medical/ Behavioral Emergencies and Obstetrics/Gynecology (General Pharmacology, Respiratory Emergencies, Cardiac Emergencies, Toxicology, Diabetes/Altered Mental Status, Allergies, Poisoning/Overdose, Environmental Emergencies, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Practical Skills)
- Trauma (Bleeding and Shock, Soft Tissue Injuries, Musculoskeletal Care, Injuries to the Head and Spine, Chest, Abdomen, and other Body Systems)
- Infants and Children (Management of Airway, Medical emergencies, Traumatic Injuries and Practical Skills)
- Operations (Ambulance Operations, Aeromedical services, Hazardous Materials, Incident Command Systems, Mass Casualty Incidents, NIMS, WMDs, Terrorism, Gaining Access, and Overviews)
- Clinical session in the Emergency Department and a field session with local EMS agencies.
CVCC offers a pre-course covering the essentials of career readiness with SkillsUSA Career Essentials classes (personal, workplace, technical, leadership, and communication skills) in partnership with Adult Education of Central Virginia. Students will explore career paths, refine resumes, and prepare for career interviews.
CVCC offers a pre-course, Medical Terminology Bootcamp, designed to assist students in learning medical language and basic structure and function of the human body.
CVCC offers a pre-course, The American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) class, to train students to recognize several life-threatening emergencies, give high-quality chest compressions, deliver appropriate ventilations, and provide early use of an AED. This class is specifically designed for healthcare professionals and other personnel who need to perform CPR and other basic cardiovascular life support skills.
Financial Resources: *It is easy to qualify for one or more discounts!
WCG— Workforce Credential Grant for individuals meeting VA Domicile Determinate criteria & class requirements. Reduction to $400.00 *
Contact CVCC’s Workforce Office at (434) 832-7607 or email@example.com to learn more!
Tobacco Commission Aid— Grant for individuals meeting WCG criteria and residing in a VA Tobacco dependent locality such as Appomattox, Bedford, or Campbell Counties. Reduction to $200.00
WCG and FANTIC— The Financial Aid for Noncredit Training leading to Industry Credentials (FANTIC) program for individuals demonstrating financial need based on low income criteria. Reduction to $40.00.
Other— Additional resources are available through Community Partners. Reduction to $0.