The CVCC Workforce Solutions Emergency Medical Services is designed to produce competent entry-level EMT’s who can service the community with basic life support care via the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) infrastructure. Upon completion of the program, students will be eligible for National Registry testing and certification in Virginia. Employment opportunities are available for Ambulance, Fire and Rescue services, Hospitals, Government Departments, Industrial, and Humanitarian relief organizations. Students will be able to demonstrate the skills necessary to achieve the State and National Registry EMT certification.
• Preparatory (Introduction, Well Being, Medical/Legal and Ethical Issues, Human Body, Vital Signs, Sample History, Lifting, and Moving Patients)
• Airway (Airway Management and Practical Skills)
• Patient Assessment to include CPR skills (Scene Size, Initial Assessment, Focused History and Physical Exam – Trauma and Medical Students, Detailed Physical Exam, On-Going Assessment, Communications, Documentation, and Practical Skills Lab)
• Medical/ Behavioral Emergencies /Obstetrics/Gynecology (General Pharmacology, Respiratory Emergencies, Cardiac Emergencies, Toxicology, Diabetes/Altered Mental Status, Allergies, Poisoning/Overdose, Environmental Emergencies, Obstetrics/Gynecology)
• Trauma (Bleeding and Shock, Soft Tissue Injuries, Musculoskeletal Care, Injuries to the Head and Spine, Chest, Abdomen, and other Body Systems)
• Infants and Children (Management of Airway, Medical emergencies, Traumatic Injuries and Practical Skills)
• Operations (Ambulance Operations, Aeromedical services, Hazardous Materials, Incident Command Systems, Mass Casualty Incidents, NIMS, WMDs, Terrorism, Gaining Access, and Overviews)
• Clinical session in the Emergency Department and a field session with local EMS agencies.
CVCC offers a pre-course covering the essentials of career readiness with SkillsUSA Career Essentials classes (personal, workplace, technical, leadership, and communication skills) in partnership with Adult Education of Central Virginia. Students will explore career paths, refine resumes, and prepare for career interviews.
CVCC offers a pre-course, Medical Terminology Bootcamp, designed to assist students in learning medical language and basic structure and function of the human body.
CVCC offers a pre-course, The American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) class, to train students to recognize several life-threatening emergencies, give high-quality chest compressions, deliver appropriate ventilations, and provide early use of an AED. This class is specifically designed for healthcare professionals and other personnel who need to perform CPR and other basic cardiovascular life support skills.